sovereignty(redirected from Sovereign nation)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. sov·er·eign·ties
1. Supremacy of authority or rule as exercised by a sovereign or sovereign state.
2. Royal rank, authority, or power.
3. Complete independence and self-government.
4. A territory existing as an independent state.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) supreme and unrestricted power, as of a state
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the position, dominion, or authority of a sovereign
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an independent state
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sov•er•eign•ty(ˈsɒv rɪn ti, ˈsʌv-)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the quality or state of being sovereign.
2. the status, dominion, power, or authority of a sovereign; royalty.
3. supreme and independent power or authority in a state.
4. rightful status, independence, or prerogative.
5. a sovereign state, community, or political unit.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sovereignty - government free from external control|
|2.||sovereignty - royal authority; the dominion of a monarch|
dominion, rule - dominance or power through legal authority; "France held undisputed dominion over vast areas of Africa"; "the rule of Caesar"
|3.||sovereignty - the authority of a state to govern another state|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun supreme power, domination, supremacy, primacy, sway, ascendancy, kingship, suzerainty Britain's concern to protect national sovereignty is far from new.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. The right and power to command, decide, rule, or judge:
authority, command, control, domination, dominion, jurisdiction, mastery, might, power, prerogative, sway.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
sovereignty[ˈsɒvrəntɪ] N → soberanía f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
sovereignty[ˈsɒvrɪnti] n → souveraineté f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
sovereignty[ˈsɒvr/əntɪ] n → sovranità
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995