soviet(redirected from Sovietizes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
so·vi·et(sō′vē-ĕt′, -ĭt, sŏv′ē-, sō′vē-ĕt′)
1. One of the popularly elected legislative assemblies that were created after the Russian Revolution (1917) and existed at local, regional, and national levels in the former Soviet Union.
2. Soviet A native or inhabitant of the former Soviet Union.
1. Of or relating to a soviet.
2. often Soviet Of or relating to the former Soviet Union.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in the former Soviet Union) an elected government council at the local, regional, and national levels, which culminated in the Supreme Soviet
2. (Historical Terms) (in prerevolutionary Russia) a local revolutionary council
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) of or relating to a soviet
[C20: from Russian sovyet council, from Old Russian sŭvĕtŭ]
1. (Placename) of, characteristic of, or relating to the former Soviet Union, its people, or its government
2. (Peoples) of, characteristic of, or relating to the former Soviet Union, its people, or its government
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) of, characteristic of, or relating to the former Soviet Union, its people, or its government
So•vi•et(ˈsoʊ viˌɛt, -ɪt, ˌsoʊ viˈɛt)
1. Usually, Soviets. a governing official or citizen of the Soviet Union.
2. (l.c.) (in the Soviet Union)
a. a governmental council, being part of a hierarchy of councils at various levels of government, culminating in the Supreme Soviet.
b. a committee of workers, peasants, or soldiers during the revolutionary period.
3. (l.c.) any similar council in a socialist system of government.adj.
4. of or pertaining to the Soviet Union or the Soviets.
5. (l.c.) of or pertaining to a soviet.
[1917; < Russian sovét council, advice, Old Russian, Old Church Slavonic sŭvětŭ=sŭ- together, with + větŭ counsel; calque of Greek symboúlion]
A Russian term for a local, regional or national elected government council which grew out of the pre-Revolutionary workers’ councils. These initially democratic bodies were dominated by Bolsheviks (later Communists) after 1917.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||soviet - an elected governmental council in a communist country (especially one that is a member of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics)|
council - a body serving in an administrative capacity; "student council"
|Adj.||1.||Soviet - of or relating to or characteristic of the former Soviet Union or its people; "Soviet leaders"|
adj attr → sowjetisch, Sowjet-; soviet power → Sowjetmacht f; soviet citizen → Sowjetbürger(in) m(f)
n → Sowjetrepublik f
n → Sowjetrussland nt
n → Sowjetunion f
and noun concerning the former Soviet Union. Sowjet السوفيات съветски soviético sovětský Sowjet-... sovjettisk; sovjet σοβιετικός soviético nõukogude, sovjeet شورا neuvostoliittolainen soviétique סוֹבייֵטִי पूर्व सोवियत रूस संबंधी sovjetski szovjet soviet sovét- sovietico ソビエト連邦の 옛 소련의 sovietų, sovietinis padomju- soviet sovjetsovjet- radziecki شورا soviético sovietic советский soviet, sovietsky sovjetski sovjetski sovjetisk ที่เกี่ยวกับโซเวียต sovyet 蘇維埃(蘇聯)的 радянський سابق اتحاد شوروی (روس) کی منتخب مقامی، ضلعی یا قومی کونسل Liên Xô (cũ) 苏维埃（苏联）的