Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Spanish American: Mexican American
Spanish Americanalso Span·ish-A·mer·i·can (spăn′ĭsh-ə-mĕr′ĭ-kən)
1. A native or inhabitant of Spanish America.
2. A US citizen or resident of Hispanic ancestry. See Usage Note at Hispanic.
1. Of or relating to Spanish America or its peoples or cultures.
2. Of or relating to Spain and America, especially the United States.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a citizen or resident of the U.S. of Spanish birth or descent.
2. a descendant of the Spanish-speaking population in parts of Mexico annexed by the U.S. as a result of the Texas revolt and the Mexican War.
3. a native or inhabitant of Spanish America.
1. of or pertaining to Spanish America or its inhabitants.
2. belonging to, pertaining to, or involving both Spain and the U.S., or the people of the two countries.
3. of or pertaining to Spanish Americans.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Spanish American - an American whose first language is Spanish|
American - a native or inhabitant of the United States
criollo - a Spanish American of pure European stock (usually Spanish); "Mexico is a country of mestizos, criollos, and indigenes"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → hispanoamericano
B. N → hispanoamericano/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005