Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Spanish Americanalso Span·ish-A·mer·i·can (spăn′ĭsh-ə-mĕr′ĭ-kən)
1. A native or inhabitant of Spanish America.
2. A US citizen or resident of Hispanic ancestry. See Usage Note at Hispanic.
1. Of or relating to Spanish America or its peoples or cultures.
2. Of or relating to Spain and America, especially the United States.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to any of the Spanish-speaking countries or peoples of the Americas
2. (Peoples) of or relating to any of the Spanish-speaking countries or peoples of the Americas
3. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of Spanish America
4. (Languages) a Spanish-speaking person in the US
5. (Peoples) a Spanish-speaking person in the US
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a citizen or resident of the U.S. of Spanish birth or descent.
2. a descendant of the Spanish-speaking population in parts of Mexico annexed by the U.S. as a result of the Texas revolt and the Mexican War.
3. a native or inhabitant of Spanish America.
1. of or pertaining to Spanish America or its inhabitants.
2. belonging to, pertaining to, or involving both Spain and the U.S., or the people of the two countries.
3. of or pertaining to Spanish Americans.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.