Spartan(redirected from Spartanly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or relating to Sparta or its people.
2. also spartan
a. Rigorously self-disciplined or self-restrained.
b. Simple, frugal, or austere: a Spartan diet; a spartan lifestyle.
c. Marked by brevity of speech; laconic.
d. Courageous in the face of pain, danger, or adversity.
1. A citizen of Sparta.
2. One of Spartan character.
1. (Historical Terms) of or relating to Sparta or its citizens
2. (Placename) of or relating to Sparta or its citizens
3. (sometimes not capital) very strict or austere: a Spartan upbringing.
4. (sometimes not capital) possessing courage and resolve
5. (Historical Terms) a citizen of Sparta
6. (Peoples) a citizen of Sparta
7. (sometimes not capital) a disciplined or brave person
8. (Plants) a Canadian variety of eating apple
adj. Also, Spar•tan′ic (-ˈtæn ɪk)
1. of or pertaining to Sparta or its inhabitants.
2. suggestive of the ancient Spartans; sternly disciplined and rigorously simple, frugal, or austere.
3. brave; undaunted.n.
4. a native or inhabitant of Sparta.
5. a person of Spartan characteristics.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Spartan - a resident of Sparta |
Sparta - an ancient Greek city famous for military prowess; the dominant city of the Peloponnesus prior to the 4th century BC
|Adj.||1.||Spartan - of or relating to or characteristic of Sparta or its people|
|2.||spartan - resolute in the face of pain or danger or adversity; "spartan courage"|
resolute - firm in purpose or belief; characterized by firmness and determination; "stood resolute against the enemy"; "faced with a resolute opposition"; "a resolute and unshakeable faith"
|3.||spartan - unsparing and uncompromising in discipline or judgment; "a parent severe to the pitch of hostility"- H.G.Wells; "a hefty six-footer with a rather severe mien"; "a strict disciplinarian"; "a Spartan upbringing"|
|4.||spartan - practicing great self-denial; "Be systematically ascetic...do...something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it"- William James; "a desert nomad's austere life"; "a spartan diet"; "a spartan existence"|
abstemious - sparing in consumption of especially food and drink; "the pleasures of the table, never of much consequence to one naturally abstemious"- John Galsworthy