Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to spencer: Herbert Spencer, Diana Spencer
[Perhaps from the name Spencer.]
1. A short double-breasted overcoat worn by men in the early 1800s.
2. A close-fitting, waist-length jacket worn by women.
[After George John Spencer, Second Earl Spencer (1758-1834).]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a short fitted coat or jacket
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's knitted vest
[C18: named after Earl Spencer (1758–1834)]
(Nautical Terms) nautical a large loose-footed gaffsail on a square-rigger or barque
[C19: perhaps after the surname Spencer]
1. (Biography) Herbert. 1820–1903, English philosopher, who applied evolutionary theory to the study of society, favouring laissez-faire doctrines
2. (Biography) Sir Stanley. 1891–1959, English painter, noted esp for his paintings of Christ in a contemporary English setting
any of various close-fitting, usu. waist-length jackets worn in the 18th and 19th centuries.
[1790–1800; after German. J. Spencer (1758–1834), English earl]
a large gaff sail used abaft a square-rigged foremast or the mainmast of a ship or bark.
[1830–40; orig. uncertain]
Herbert, 1820–1903, English philosopher.