synesthesia(redirected from Spiky words)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
syn·es·the·siaalso syn·aes·the·sia (sĭn′ĭs-thē′zhə)
1. A condition in which one type of stimulation evokes the sensation of another, as when the hearing of a sound produces the visualization of a color.
2. A sensation felt in one part of the body as a result of stimulus applied to another, as in referred pain.
3. The description of one kind of sense impression by using words that normally describe another.
syn′es·thet′ic (-thĕt′ĭk) adj.
1. (Physiology) the usual US spelling of synaesthesia
2. (Psychology) the usual US spelling of synaesthesia
or syn•aes•the•sia(ˌsɪn əsˈθi ʒə, -ʒi ə)
a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color.
syn′es•thete` (-ˌθit) n.
syn`es•thet′ic (-ˈθɛt ɪk) adj.
Medicine. a secondary sensation accompanying an actual perception, as the perceiving of sound as a color or the sensation of being touched in a place at some distance from the actual place of touching. Cf. chromesthesia. — synesthetic, synaesthetic, adj.See also: Perception
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||synesthesia - a sensation that normally occurs in one sense modality occurs when another modality is stimulated|
aesthesis, esthesis, sensation, sense datum, sense experience, sense impression - an unelaborated elementary awareness of stimulation; "a sensation of touch"