revolving door(redirected from Spinning door)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Spinning door: revolving door
1. A door, especially at the entrance of a building, typically made of three or four rigid upright sections joined at right angles and rotating about a central upright pivot.
a. A recurring pattern of events or problems: a revolving door of drug addiction and homelessness.
b. A situation in which people remain or work only a short time before going elsewhere.
c. A situation in which people with experience in an industry take government jobs in agencies that set policy for that industry and in which government employees take private-sector jobs in order to use their connections and knowledge to favorably influence government policy regarding their industry.
1. (Building) a door that rotates about a central vertical axis, esp one with four leaves arranged at right angles to each other, thereby excluding draughts
a. informal a tendency to change personnel on a frequent basis
b. (as modifier): a revolving-door band.
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy)
a. informal the hiring of former government employees by private companies with which they had dealings when they worked for the government
b. (as modifier): revolving-door consultancies.
an entrance door to a building consisting of usually four rigid leaves in the form of a cross rotating about a central vertical pivot in the doorway, designed to keep out drafts.
1. (of a company, institution, or organization) having a high turnover of employees, members, patients, etc.
2. of or pertaining to a practice in which government officials return to positions in private companies that do business with the government.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||revolving door - an organization or institution with a high rate of turnover of personnel or membership|
social group - people sharing some social relation
|2.||revolving door - a door consisting of four orthogonal partitions that rotate about a central pivot; a door designed to equalize the air pressure in tall buildings|
door - a swinging or sliding barrier that will close the entrance to a room or building or vehicle; "he knocked on the door"; "he slammed the door as he left"