sri(redirected from Sree)
Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia.
1. Used in India as a title of respect for a man.
2. Hinduism Used as a title for a deity or holy man.
[Hindi śrī, from Sanskrit, splendor, majesty, honorific pref.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Hinduism) the consort of Vishnu
2. (Hinduism) a title of honour used when addressing a distinguished Hindu
3. (Hinduism) a polite form of address equating to Mr.
[literally: majesty, holiness]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a Hindu title of respect prefixed to the name of a deity, holy person, etc.
2. a respectful title of address prefixed to a man's name in India; Mr.
[1885–90;< Skt śrī]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.