Stanley(redirected from Stanley (TV Show))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Stan·leyor Port Stan·ley (stăn′lē)
A town of the eastern Falkland Islands on the Atlantic Ocean. It is the administrative capital of the British dependency.
1. (Placename) the capital of the Falkland Islands, in NE East Falkland Island: scene of fighting in the Falklands War of 1982. Pop: 1989 (2001)
2. (Placename) a town in NE England, in N Durham. Pop: 19 072 (2001)
3. (Placename) Mount Stanley a mountain in central Africa, between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo: the highest peak of the Ruwenzori range. Height: 5109 m (16 763 ft). Congolese name: Ngaliema Mountain
(Biography) Sir Henry Morton. 1841–1904, British explorer and journalist, who led an expedition to Africa in search of Livingstone, whom he found on Nov 10, 1871. He led three further expeditions in Africa (1874–77; 1879–84; 1887–89) and was instrumental in securing Belgian sovereignty over the Congo Free State
1. Sir Henry Morton (John Rowlands), 1841–1904, British journalist and explorer in Africa.
2. Wendell M(eredith), 1904–71, U.S. biochemist.
3. the capital and principal harbor of the Falkland Islands, in the E part. 1200.
4. Mount, former name of Ngaliema, Mount.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Stanley - United States inventor who built a steam-powered automobile (1849-1918)|
|2.||Stanley - Welsh journalist and explorer who led an expedition to Africa in search of David Livingstone and found him in Tanzania in 1871; he and Livingstone together tried to find the source of the Nile River (1841-1904)|