Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A place or position where a person or thing stands or is assigned to stand; a post: a sentry station.
b. An area where a person is assigned to work.
2. The place, building, or establishment from which a service is provided or operations are directed: a police station.
3. A stopping place along a route, especially a stop for refueling or for taking on passengers; a depot.
4. Australian & New Zealand A large ranch on which livestock, especially cattle or sheep, are raised.
5. Social position; rank: "He was degraded in their eyes; he had lost caste and station before the very paupers" (Charles Dickens).
6. An establishment equipped for observation and study: a radar station; a biological field station.
a. An establishment equipped for radio or television transmission.
b. One that broadcasts radio or television transmissions: The views in this program do not necessarily reflect those of the station.
c. A frequency assigned to a broadcaster.
8. An input or output point along a communications system.
9. A precise point from which measurements in surveying are made.
10. Ecology A sampling location: differences in species diversity between upstream and downstream stations.
11. Station Roman Catholic Church Any of the Stations of the Cross.
12. One of a series of holy places visited by pilgrims as a ritual devotion.
tr.v. sta·tioned, sta·tion·ing, sta·tions
To assign to a position; post.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Stations - (Roman Catholic Church) a devotion consisting of fourteen prayers said before a series of fourteen pictures or carvings representing successive incidents during Jesus' passage from Pilate's house to his crucifixion at Calvary|
devotion - (usually plural) religious observance or prayers (usually spoken silently); "he returned to his devotions"
Church of Rome, Roman Catholic Church, Roman Church, Western Church, Roman Catholic - the Christian Church based in the Vatican and presided over by a pope and an episcopal hierarchy
series - similar things placed in order or happening one after another; "they were investigating a series of bank robberies"