Stephen(redirected from Stefan)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to Stefan: Stefan Zweig
Ste·phen(stē′vən), Saint Died c. ad 36.
Christian protomartyr who, according to the New Testament, was stoned to death after his defense of Christianity before the Sanhedrin.
1. (Biography) ?1097–1154, king of England (1135–54); grandson of William the Conqueror. He seized the throne on the death of Henry I, causing civil war with Henry's daughter Matilda. He eventually recognized her son (later Henry II) as his successor
2. (Biography) Saint. died ?35 ad, the first Christian martyr. Feast day: Dec 26 or 27
3. (Biography) Saint, Hungarian name István. ?975–1038 ad, first king of Hungary as Stephen I (997–1038). Feast day: Aug 16 or 20
4. (Biography) Sir Leslie. 1832–1904, English biographer, critic, and first editor of the Dictionary of National Biography; father of the novelist Virginia Woolf
1. Saint, died A.D. c35, first Christian martyr.
2. Saint, c975–1038, first king of Hungary 997–1038.
3. (Stephen of Blois) 1097?–1154, king of England 1135–54.
4. Sir Leslie, 1832–1904, English critic, biographer, and philosopher (father of Virginia Woolf).