stenotype(redirected from Stenotype machine)
Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. A keyboard machine used to record dictation in shorthand by a series of phonetic symbols.
2. A phonetic symbol or combination of symbols produced by such a machine.
tr.v. sten·o·typed, sten·o·typ·ing, sten·o·types
To record or transcribe (matter) with a stenotype machine.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) trademark a machine with a keyboard for recording speeches, etc, in a phonetic shorthand
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) any machine resembling this
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the phonetic symbol typed in one stroke of such a machine
n., v. -typed, -typ•ing. n.
1. a keyboard machine resembling a typewriter, used in stenotypy.
2. the symbols typed in one stroke on this machine.v.t.
3. to write or record with a stenotype.
[1890–95; formerly a trademark]