stoning(redirected from Stoning in Islam)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
a. Concreted earthy or mineral matter; rock.
b. Such concreted matter of a particular type. Often used in combination: sandstone; soapstone.
2. A small piece of rock.
3. Rock or a piece of rock shaped or finished for a particular purpose, especially:
a. A piece of rock that is used in construction: a coping stone; a paving stone.
b. A gravestone or tombstone.
c. A grindstone, millstone, or whetstone.
d. A milestone or boundary.
4. A gem or precious stone.
5. Something, such as a hailstone, resembling a stone in shape or hardness.
6. Botany The hard covering enclosing the seed in certain fruits, such as the cherry, plum, or peach.
7. Medicine A mineral concretion in an organ, such as the kidney or gallbladder, or other body part; a calculus.
8. pl. stone Abbr. st. A unit of weight in Great Britain, 14 pounds (6.4 kilograms).
9. Printing A table with a smooth surface on which page forms are composed.
1. Relating to or made of stone: a stone wall.
2. Made of stoneware or earthenware.
3. Complete; utter. Often used in combination: a stone liar; stone-deaf.
Completely; utterly: stone cold; standing stone still.
tr.v. stoned, ston·ing, stones
1. To hurl or throw stones at, especially to kill with stones.
2. To remove the stones or pits from.
3. To furnish, fit, pave, or line with stones.
4. To rub on or with a stone in order to polish or sharpen.
5. Sports To block a shot taken by (an opponent). Used of a goalie.
6. Obsolete To make hard or indifferent.