floodgate(redirected from Storm surge barrier)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Storm surge barrier: Flood barrier
1. A gate used to control the flow of a body of water. Also called water gate.
2. Something that restrains a flood or outpouring: The ruling opened the floodgates to refugees seeking asylum.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Civil Engineering) Also called: head gate or water gate a gate in a sluice that is used to control the flow of water. See also sluicegate
2. (often plural) a control or barrier against an outpouring or flow: to open the floodgates to immigration.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a gate designed to regulate the flow of water.
2. anything serving to control the indiscriminate flow or passage of something.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||floodgate - something that restrains a flood or outpouring; "suspension of surveillance opened the floodgates to illegal immigrants"|
restraint - a rule or condition that limits freedom; "legal restraints"; "restraints imposed on imports"
|2.||floodgate - regulator consisting of a valve or gate that controls the rate of water flow through a sluice|
regulator - any of various controls or devices for regulating or controlling fluid flow, pressure, temperature, etc.
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.