straw man(redirected from Straw argument)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial.
Related to Straw argument: Straw dog argument
1. An argument or opponent set up so as to be easily refuted or defeated.
2. Law See dummy.
[From the making of sham human figures out of bundles of straw, as for use as scarecrows or practice targets .]
1. (Crafts) a figure of a man made from straw
2. a variant of man of straw
1. a person whose function is only to cover another's activities; front.
2. a conveniently weak or innocuous person, object, or issue used as a seeming adversary or argument.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||straw man - a person used as a cover for some questionable activity|
|2.||straw man - a weak or sham argument set up to be easily refuted|
specious argument - an argument that appears good at first view but is really fallacious
|3.||straw man - an effigy in the shape of a man to frighten birds away from seeds|