streamline(redirected from Streamline (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. stream·lined, stream·lin·ing, stream·lines
a. To construct or design in a form that offers the least resistance to fluid flow: streamline a car's design.
b. To design with flowing, graceful lines: streamline furniture.
2. To improve the efficiency of, often by simplification: streamline a factory process.
1. A line that is parallel to the direction of flow of a fluid at a given instant.
2. The path of one particle in a flowing fluid.
3. A contour of a body constructed so as to offer minimum resistance to a fluid flow.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Engineering) a contour on a body that offers the minimum resistance to a gas or liquid flowing around it
2. (General Physics) an imaginary line in a fluid such that the tangent at any point indicates the direction of the velocity of a particle of the fluid at that point
(General Engineering) to make streamlined
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -lined, -lin•ing.
1. a contour offering the least resistance to a current, as of air or water.
2. the path of a particle that is flowing steadily and without turbulence in a fluid past an object.v.t.
3. to make streamlined.
4. to alter so as to make more efficient or simple.adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
To design or construct something so that it offers the least resistance to the flow of a fluid, especially air or water.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Past participle: streamlined
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||streamline - contour economically or efficiently|
contour - form the contours of
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
verb rationalize, restructure, reorganize, modernize, bring up to date, make more efficient They're making efforts to streamline their bureaucracy.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[+ car, plane] → profiler
[+ organization, company, process] → rationaliser
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995