stringer(redirected from Stringering)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that strings: a stringer of beads.
a. A long heavy horizontal timber used as a support or connector.
b. A stringboard.
3. Sports A member of a specified string or squad on a team. Often used in combination: a first-stringer; a second-stringer.
4. A part-time or freelance correspondent for the news media.
1. (Architecture) architect
a. a long horizontal beam that is used for structural purposes
b. another name for stringboard
2. (Nautical Terms) nautical a longitudinal structural brace for strengthening the hull of a vessel
3. (Journalism & Publishing) a journalist retained by a newspaper or news service on a part-time basis to cover a particular town or area
1. a person or thing that strings.
2. a long horizontal timber connecting upright posts.
4. a longitudinal bridge girder for supporting part of a deck or railroad track between bents or piers.
5. a longitudinal reinforcement in the fuselage or wing of an airplane.
6. a part-time correspondent for a newspaper, magazine, etc.
7. a performer ranked according to skill or accomplishment (used in combination): first-stringers.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||stringer - a member of a squad on a team; "a first stringer"; "a second stringer"|
|2.||stringer - a worker who strings; "a stringer of beads"|
worker - a person who works at a specific occupation; "he is a good worker"
|3.||stringer - brace consisting of a longitudinal member to strengthen a fuselage or hull|
|4.||stringer - a long horizontal timber to connect uprights|
timber - a beam made of wood