1. A room or suite of rooms designed as a residence and generally located in a building occupied by more than one household.
2. An apartment building: a row of high-rise apartments.
3. A room.
4. apartments Chiefly British A suite of rooms within a larger building set aside for a particular purpose or person.
[French appartement, from Italian appartamento, from appartare, to separate, from a parte, apart : a, to (from Latin ad; see ad-) + parte, side (from Latin pars, part-; see part).]
1. (often plural) any room in a building, usually one of several forming a suite, esp one that is spacious and well furnished and used as living accommodation, offices, etc
another name (esp US and Canadian) for flat21
b. (as modifier): apartment building; apartment house.
[C17: from French appartement, from Italian appartamento, from appartare to set on one side, separate]
a•part•ment (əˈpɑrt mənt)
1. a room or a group of related rooms, usu. among similar sets in one building, having housekeeping facilities and used as a dwelling.
2. a building made up of such rooms; apartment house.
[1635–45; < French appartement < Italian appartamento]
a•part•men′tal (-ˈmɛn tl) adj.
In British English, a flat is a set of rooms for living in, usually on one floor of a large building.
She lived in a tiny furnished flat near Sloane Square.
In American English, a set of rooms like this is usually called an apartment.
It is a six-story building with 20 luxury two- and three-bedroom apartments.
3. 'block of flats'
In British English, a large building containing flats is usually called a block of flats.
The building was pulled down to make way for a block of flats.
4. 'apartment block' and 'apartment building'
In American English, and sometimes in British English, it is called an apartment building or an apartment block.
He lives on the ninth story of an apartment block on Charlesgate East.
Several apartment buildings were destroyed in the fire.
|Noun||1.||apartment - a suite of rooms usually on one floor of an apartment house|maisonette
- a self-contained apartment (usually on two floors) in a larger house and with its own entrance from the outside
- an apartment located on the top floors of a building
- an apartment whose rooms are all in a line with doors between them
- apartment consisting of a series of connected rooms used as a living unit (as in a hotel)
شقةشَقَّةشَقَّة سَكَنِيَّهغُرْفَة في شَقَّة سَكَنِيَّهغُرْفَة مُسْتَأجَرَه
n apartments pl
(Brit: = suite of rooms
) → Appartement nt
(esp US: = flat
) → Wohnung f
; apartment house or block or building
→ Wohnblock m
apartment [əˈpɑːtmənt] n
) → appartamento
) (room in palace
) → sala
apartment (əˈpaːtmənt) noun
a room, usually
rented, in a private house. kamer غُرْفَة مُسْتَأجَرَه жилище apartamento pokoj das Zimmer rum διαμέρισμαcuarto üürituba آپارتمان huone chambreדירה किसी निजी घर में किराए का कमरा soba lakosztály kamar sewaan, flat herbergi camera; appartamento ammobiliato 貸間 셋방 kambarys istaba pangsapuri kamerhybel, rompokój آپارتمان apartamento apartament комната внаём izba soba apartman rum ห้องชุดให้เช่า oda, daire 出租套房 кімната, житло ایک کمرہ căn phòng 套房
a single room in a house. a five-apartment house. kamer غُرْفَة في شَقَّة سَكَنِيَّه стая peça místnost das Zimmer rum δωμάτιοhabitación tuba اتاق yhden hengen huone pièceדירה किसी घर का एक कमरा prostorija u kući szoba bagian herbergi camera 個々の部屋 (일반적인) 방 kambarys istaba bilik kediaman kamerrompokój کوټه compartimento cameră комната izba soba, prostor soba rum ห้องเดี่ยวในบ้าน oda 一個房間 кімната, квартира گھر کا ایک کمرہ căn phòng 房间