From 1480 to 1540 this Lady Chapel choir consisted of six choristers, and three or four professional men, one of whom was paid a stipend by the abbey almoner and acted as the official Master of the Choristers and head of what had become the abbey choir school.(42) At the beginning of the early Tudor regime two books of polyphony were in use in the Lady Chapel, and an additional 'prycksong book of masses, antems and other songe' was purchased in 1512-13 by the subalmoner; presumably this also belonged to the choir school.
The son of the latter, William Cornish the younger, Master of the Choristers of the Chapel Royal from 1509 to 1523, maintained active contact between the two choirs: on St Edward's Day 1522 he was paid 10s by the subalmoner of the abbey for instructing its choristers.(43) Associations between abbey musicians and those working within wider royal circles also occurred.
c.1512-13 Book of payments made by William Fytte, subalmoner of Westminster Abbey (WAM 33301, f.3)