subdominant(redirected from Subdominant chord)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
The fourth tone of a diatonic scale, next below the dominant.
1. Zoology Less than dominant; ranking below one that is dominant: the subdominant male in a pride of lions.
2. Ecology Prevalent in a community but below the dominant in importance. Used of a species.
1. (Music, other) the fourth degree of a major or minor scale
2. (Music, other) a key or chord based on this
(Music, other) of or relating to the subdominant
sub•dom•i•nant(sʌbˈdɒm ə nənt)
1. the fourth tone of an ascending diatonic scale.adj.
2. less than or not quite dominant.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||subdominant - (music) the fourth note of the diatonic scale|
musical note, note, tone - a notation representing the pitch and duration of a musical sound; "the singer held the note too long"
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner