province(redirected from Subprovince)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. A territory governed as an administrative or political unit of a country or empire.
2. Ecclesiastical A division of territory under the jurisdiction of a metropolitan.
3. provinces Areas of a country situated away from the capital or population center.
4. An area of knowledge, activity, or interest: a topic falling within the province of ancient history. See Synonyms at field.
5. The range of one's proper duties and functions; scope.
6. Ecology An area of land, less extensive than a region, having a characteristic plant and animal population.
7. Any of various lands outside Italy conquered by the Romans and administered by them as self-contained units.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin prōvincia.]
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a territory governed as a unit of a country or empire
2. (Human Geography) a district, territory, or region
3. (Human Geography) the provinces (plural) those parts of a country lying outside the capital and other large cities and regarded as outside the mainstream of sophisticated culture
4. (Biology) ecology a subdivision of a region, characterized by a particular fauna and flora
5. (Education) an area or branch of learning, activity, etc
6. the field or extent of a person's activities or office
7. (Ecclesiastical Terms) RC Church Church of England an ecclesiastical territory, usually consisting of several dioceses, and having an archbishop or metropolitan at its head
8. (Ecclesiastical Terms) a major administrative and territorial subdivision of a religious order
9. (Historical Terms) history a region of the Roman Empire outside Italy ruled by a governor from Rome
[C14: from Old French, from Latin prōvincia conquered territory]
1. an administrative division or unit of a country, esp. any of the 10 principal political units of Canada.
2. the provinces, the parts of a country outside of the capital or the largest cities.
3. a country, territory, district, or region.
a. a major region of the earth or biosphere.
b. a biogeographic zone characterized by its dominant plants and animals.
5. a department or branch of learning or activity: the province of mathematics.
6. a sphere or field of activity or authority, as of a person.
7. an ecclesiastical territorial division, as that within which an archbishop or a metropolitan exercises jurisdiction.
8. a country or territory of the Roman Empire outside of Italy administered by a governor sent from Rome.
[1300–50; Middle English < Middle French < Latin prōvincia province, official charge]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||province - the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation; "his state is in the deep south"|
administrative district, administrative division, territorial division - a district defined for administrative purposes
commonwealth - the official name of some states in the United States (Massachusetts and Pennsylvania and Virginia and Kentucky) and associated territories (Puerto Rico)
country, land, state - the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
eparchy - a province in ancient Greece
American state - one of the 50 states of the United States
Italian region - Italy is divided into 20 regions for administrative purposes
Canadian province - Canada is divided into 12 provinces for administrative purposes
Australian state - one of the several states constituting Australia
Soviet Socialist Republic - one of the states that formerly made up the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (1922-1991)
|2.||province - the proper sphere or extent of your activities; "it was his province to take care of himself"|
arena, domain, sphere, orbit, area, field - a particular environment or walk of life; "his social sphere is limited"; "it was a closed area of employment"; "he's out of my orbit"
ecclesiastical province - the district within the jurisdiction of an archbishop or a metropolitan or one of the territorial divisions of an ecclesiastical order; "the general of the Jesuits has several provinces under him"
1. region, section, county, district, territory, zone, patch, colony, domain, dependency, tract the Algarve, Portugal's southernmost province
2. area, business, concern, responsibility, part, line, charge, role, post, department, field, duty, function, employment, capacity, orbit, sphere, turf (U.S. slang), pigeon (Brit. informal) Industrial research is the province of the Department of Trade and Industry.
|Prince Edward Island||PE|
South African provinces and provincial capitals
|Western Cape||Cape Town|
skattland; fylki; héraî
→ Provinz f
provinces pl the provinces → die Provinz
(fig: = area of knowledge, activity etc) → Gebiet nt, → Bereich m; it’s not (within) my province → das fällt nicht in meinen Bereich or mein Gebiet; it’s outside the province of science → es liegt außerhalb des wissenschaftlichen Gebiets or Bereichs
a division of a country, empire etc. Britain was once a Roman province. provinsie إقْليم، مُقاطَعَه провинция província provincie die Provinz provins επαρχίαprovincia provints, maakond ایالت؛ استان provinssi provinceמחוז परमात्मा का विधान tartomány provinsi skattland; fylki; hérað provincia 州, 地方 (행정구역으로서의) 주, 성, 도, (수도 등에 대한) 지방 provincija province; perifērija wilayah provincielandsdel; fylke; provinsprowincja ايالت ، ځاى província provincie провинция provincia pokrajina provincija provins จังหวัด eyalet 省 провінція; область صوبہ tỉnh 省proˈvincial (-ˈvinʃəl) adjective
provinsiaal إقْليمي провинциален provinciano provincionální provinziell provinsiel; provins- επαρχιακόςprovincial maa- ایالتی؛ استانی maakunnallinen provincialמחוזי प्रान्त से संबंधित vidéki(es) provinsial héraðs-; landsbyggðar- provinciale 地方の 주, 도, 지방의, 촌스러운, 지방에서 볼 수 있는 provincijos, provincialus provinces-; provinciāls wilayah provinciaalprovins-, fylkes-, provinsiell prowincjonalny ايالتى ، ساحه provinciano provincial провинциальный provinciálny pokrajinski provincijski regional, provins- ประจำจังหวัด eyalete/taşraya ait 省的 провінційний; периферійний صوبائي cấp tỉnh 省的