jet stream(redirected from Subtropical jet stream)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Subtropical jet stream: Polar jet stream
1. A high-speed, meandering wind current, generally moving from a westerly direction at speeds often exceeding 400 kilometers (250 miles) per hour at altitudes of 10 to 15 kilometers (6 to 9 miles).
2. A high-speed stream; a jet.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Physical Geography) meteorol a narrow belt of high-altitude winds (about 12 000 metres high) moving east at high speeds and having an important effect on frontogenesis
2. (Aeronautics) the jet of exhaust gases produced by a gas turbine, rocket motor, etc
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. strong, generally westerly winds concentrated in a relatively narrow and shallow stream in the upper troposphere of the earth.
2. the exhaust of a jet or rocket engine.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A narrow current of strong wind circling the Earth from west to east at altitudes of 10 to 15 miles (16 to 24 kilometers) above sea level. There are usually four distinct jet streams, two each in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
A narrow band of high velocity wind in the upper troposphere or in the stratosphere.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
A narrow corridor of fast-moving air at high altitude.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||jet stream - a high-speed high-altitude airstream blowing from west to east near the top of the troposphere; has important effects of the formation of weather fronts|
airstream - a relatively well-defined prevailing wind
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.