Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A region of northern Africa south of the Sahara and north of the equator. It extends across the continent from the Atlantic coast to the mountains of Ethiopia.
2. A country of northeast Africa south of Egypt. Northern Sudan formed part of the ancient kingdoms of Nubia and Cush. Conquered by Egypt in 1820-1822 and jointly administered by Great Britain and Egypt after 1899, Sudan achieved independence in 1956. Khartoum is the capital and Omdurman is the largest city. In 2011, the southern part of the country seceded, forming the republic of South Sudan.
Su′da·nese′ (so͞od′n-ēz′, -ēs′) adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) of or relating to the republic of Sudan or its inhabitants
2. (Peoples) of or relating to the republic of Sudan or its inhabitants
3. (Placename) of or relating to the African region of the Sudan or its inhabitants
4. (Peoples) of or relating to the African region of the Sudan or its inhabitants
5. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the republic of Sudan
6. (Peoples) a native or inhabitant of the African region of the Sudan
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Su•da•nese(ˌsud nˈiz, -ˈis)
n., pl. -nese,
1. a native or inhabitant of the Sudan, esp. the Republic of Sudan.adj.
2. of or pertaining to the Sudan or its inhabitants.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sudanese - a native or inhabitant of Sudan |
Republic of the Sudan, Soudan, Sudan - a republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea; achieved independence from Egypt and the United Kingdom in 1956
African - a native or inhabitant of Africa
|Adj.||1.||Sudanese - of or relating to or characteristic of the African Republic of the Sudan or its people; "the Sudanese desert"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
người Sudanthuộc nước/người/tiếng Sudan
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Sudanese m, → Sudanesin f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Sudanese[ˌsuːd/əˈniːz] adj & n pl inv → sudanese (m/f)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
Sudanese→ سُودَانِيّ, سُودانِيّ Súdánec, súdánský sudaner, sudanesisk Sudanese, sudanesisch σουδανικός, Σουδανός sudanés sudanilainen soudanais Sudanac, sudanski sudanese スーダンの, スーダン人 수단 사람, 수단의 Soedanees sudaneser, sudanesisk Sudańczyk, sudański sudanês суданец, суданский sudanes, sudanesisk เกี่ยวกับประเทศซูดาน, ชาวซูดาน Sudan, Sudanlı người Sudan, thuộc nước/người/tiếng Sudan 苏丹人, 苏丹的
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009