Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northeast Egypt at the head of the Gulf of Suez and the southern terminus of the Suez Canal. It became a major port after the opening of the canal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) a port in NE Egypt, at the head of the Gulf of Suez at the S end of the Suez Canal: an ancient trading site and a major naval station under the Ottoman Empire; port of departure for pilgrims to Mecca; oil-refining centre. It suffered severely in the Arab-Israeli conflicts of 1967 and 1973. Pop: 513 000 (2005 est)
2. (Placename) Isthmus of Suez a strip of land in NE Egypt, between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea: links Africa and Asia and is crossed by the Suez Canal
3. (Placename) Gulf of Suez the NW arm of the Red Sea: linked with the Mediterranean by the Suez Canal
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Su•ez(suˈɛz, ˈsu ɛz)
1. a seaport in NE Egypt, near the S end of the Suez Canal. 275,000.
2. Gulf of, a NW arm of the Red Sea, W of the Sinai Peninsula.
3. Isthmus of, an isthmus in NE Egypt, joining Africa and Asia. 72 mi. (116 km) wide.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Suez - a city in northeastern Egypt at the head of the Gulf of Suez and at the southern end of the Suez Canal|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Sues nt, → Suez nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Suez[ˈsuːɪz] n → Suez f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995