Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A city of northeast Egypt at the head of the Gulf of Suez and the southern terminus of the Suez Canal. It became a major port after the opening of the canal.
1. (Placename) a port in NE Egypt, at the head of the Gulf of Suez at the S end of the Suez Canal: an ancient trading site and a major naval station under the Ottoman Empire; port of departure for pilgrims to Mecca; oil-refining centre. It suffered severely in the Arab-Israeli conflicts of 1967 and 1973. Pop: 513 000 (2005 est)
2. (Placename) Isthmus of Suez a strip of land in NE Egypt, between the Mediterranean and the Red Sea: links Africa and Asia and is crossed by the Suez Canal
3. (Placename) Gulf of Suez the NW arm of the Red Sea: linked with the Mediterranean by the Suez Canal
Su•ez(suˈɛz, ˈsu ɛz)
1. a seaport in NE Egypt, near the S end of the Suez Canal. 275,000.
2. Gulf of, a NW arm of the Red Sea, W of the Sinai Peninsula.
3. Isthmus of, an isthmus in NE Egypt, joining Africa and Asia. 72 mi. (116 km) wide.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Suez - a city in northeastern Egypt at the head of the Gulf of Suez and at the southern end of the Suez Canal|