Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The branch of Islam that accepts the first four caliphs as rightful successors of Muhammad.
2. pl. Sunni or Sun·nis A Muslim belonging to this branch; a Sunnite.
[Arabic sunnī, adherent of the Sunna, from sunna, customary practice, tradition; see Sunna.]
npl -nis or -ni
1. (Islam) one of the two main branches of orthodox Islam (the other being the Shiah), consisting of those who acknowledge the authority of the Sunna
2. (Islam) another term for Sunnite
n., pl. -ni, -nis.
1. Also called Sun•nite (ˈsʊn aɪt) a member of one of the two great religious divisions of Islam, regarding the first four caliphs as legitimate successors of Muhammad and stressing the importance of Sunna as a basis for law.Compare Shi‘ite.
2. (used with a pl. v.) the Sunni Muslims.
[1620–30; < Arabic sunnī, derivative of sunnah Sunna]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Sunni - a member of the branch of Islam that accepts the first four caliphs as rightful successors to Muhammad|
|2.||Sunni - one of the two main branches of orthodox Islam|
Islam, Muslimism - the civilization of Muslims collectively which is governed by the Muslim religion; "Islam is predominant in northern Africa, the Middle East, Pakistan, and Indonesia"