superpower(redirected from Super-power)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
A powerful and influential nation, especially a nuclear power that dominates its allies or client states in an international power bloc.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) an extremely powerful state, such as the US
2. (Electrical Engineering) extremely high power, esp electrical or mechanical
su•per•pow•er(ˈsu pərˌpaʊ ər)
1. a very powerful nation, esp. one with significant interests and influence outside its own region.
2. power greater in scope or magnitude than that which is considered natural or has previously existed.
3. power, esp. mechanical or electric power, on an extremely large scale secured by the linking together of a number of separate power systems.
A very powerful country, especially one with nuclear weapons.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||superpower - a state powerful enough to influence events throughout the world|
body politic, country, nation, res publica, commonwealth, state, land - a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
hegemon - a leading or paramount power