Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. Abbr. SC or Sup.Ct.
1. The highest federal court in the United States, consisting of nine justices and having jurisdiction over all other courts in the nation.
2. supreme court The highest court in most states within the United States. Also called high court.
(in the US) n
1. (Law) the highest Federal court, possessing final appellate jurisdiction and exercising supervisory jurisdiction over the lower courts
2. (Law) (in many states) the highest state court
1. the highest court of the U.S.
2. (l.c.) the highest court of a state or, in some states, a court of general jurisdiction subordinate to an appeals court.
The highest federal court in the United States, with authority over all other courts, and to which appeals may be made against the judgments of lower courts.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Supreme Court - the highest federal court in the United States; has final appellate jurisdiction and has jurisdiction over all other courts in the nation|
federal court - a court establish by the authority of a federal government
judicial branch - the branch of the United States government responsible for the administration of justice
|2.||supreme court - the highest court in most states of the United States|
court, judicature, tribunal - an assembly (including one or more judges) to conduct judicial business