Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. Abbr. SC or Sup.Ct.
1. The highest federal court in the United States, consisting of nine justices and having jurisdiction over all other courts in the nation.
2. supreme court The highest court in most states within the United States. Also called high court.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(in the US) n
1. (Law) the highest Federal court, possessing final appellate jurisdiction and exercising supervisory jurisdiction over the lower courts
2. (Law) (in many states) the highest state court
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the highest court of the U.S.
2. (l.c.) the highest court of a state or, in some states, a court of general jurisdiction subordinate to an appeals court.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The highest federal court in the United States, with authority over all other courts, and to which appeals may be made against the judgments of lower courts.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Supreme Court - the highest federal court in the United States; has final appellate jurisdiction and has jurisdiction over all other courts in the nation|
federal court - a court establish by the authority of a federal government
judicial branch - the branch of the United States government responsible for the administration of justice
|2.||supreme court - the highest court in most states of the United States|
court, judicature, tribunal - an assembly (including one or more judges) to conduct judicial business
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Supreme Courtn (Am) the Supreme Court → la corte suprema
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995