Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Surgeons General Abbr. SG
1. The chief medical officer in the US Public Health Service or in a state public health service.
2. The chief general officer in the medical departments of the US Army, Navy, or Air Force.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl surgeons general
1. (Military) (in the British, US, and certain other armies and navies) the senior officer of the medical service
2. (Medicine) (in the British, US, and certain other armies and navies) the senior officer of the medical service
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the head of the public health service in the US
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. surgeons general.
1. the chief of medical services in one of the armed forces.
2. (caps.) the head of the U.S. Bureau of Public Health or, in some states, of a state health agency.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Surgeon General - the head of the United States Public Health Service|
|2.||Surgeon General - the senior medical officer in an Army or Navy|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n (Mil) → Sanitätsinspekteur(in) m(f); (US) → ˜ Gesundheitsminister(in) m(f)
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995