Sutherland(redirected from Sutherlandshire)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Suth·er·land(sŭth′ər-lənd), Dame Joan 1926-2010.
Australian operatic soprano noted especially for her interpretations of Gaetano Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor and Vincenzo Bellini's Norma.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Placename) (until 1975) a county of N Scotland, now part of Highland
1. (Biography) Graham. 1903–80, English artist, noted for his work as an official war artist (1941–44), for his tapestry Christ in Majesty (1962) in Coventry Cathedral, and for his portraits
2. (Biography) Dame Joan, 1926–2010 known as La Stupenda. Australian operatic soprano
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Suth•er•land(ˈsʌð ər lənd)
1. Earl Wilbur, Jr., 1915–74, U.S. biochemistz: Nobel prize for physiology or medicine 1971.
2. Dame Joan, born 1926, Australian soprano.
3. Also called Suth′er•land•shire` (-ˌʃɪər, -ʃər) a county in N Scotland.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.