sutra(redirected from Sutras)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Hinduism Any of various aphoristic doctrinal summaries produced for memorization generally between 500 and 200 bc and later incorporated into Hindu literature.
2. also sut·ta (so͝ot′ə) Buddhism A scriptural narrative, especially a text traditionally regarded as a discourse of the Buddha.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Hinduism) Hinduism Sanskrit sayings or collections of sayings on Vedic doctrine dating from about 200 ad onwards
2. (Hinduism) (modifier) Hinduism
a. of or relating to the last of the Vedic literary periods, from about 500 to 100 bc: the sutra period.
b. of or relating to the sutras or compilations of sutras of about 200 ad onwards
3. (Buddhism) Buddhism collections of dialogues and discourses of classic Mahayana Buddhism dating from the 2nd to the 6th centuries ad
[C19: from Sanskrit: list of rules]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -tras.
1. a collection of Hindu aphorisms relating to some aspect of the conduct of life.
2. Pali, sut•ta (ˈsʊt ə) any of the sermons of Buddha.
[1795–1805; < Skt sūtra]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
The Buddha’s words or a guru’s commentary on the Buddha’s words.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sutra - a rule or aphorism in Sanskrit literature or a group of aphoristic doctrinal summaries prepared for memorization|
Sanskrit literature - Hindu literature written in Sanskrit
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.