symbolist(redirected from Symbolism (disambiguation))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. One who uses symbols or symbolism.
a. One who interprets or represents conditions or truths by the use of symbols or symbolism.
b. often Symbolist Any of a group of chiefly French writers and artists of the late 1800s who rejected realism and used symbols to evoke ideas and emotions.
1. Of or relating to symbolism.
2. often Symbolist Of or relating to the Symbolists.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a person who uses or can interpret symbols, esp as a means to revealing aspects of truth and reality
2. (Art Terms) an artist or writer who practises symbolism in his work
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Movements) (usually capital) a writer associated with the symbolist movement
4. (Art Movements) (often capital) an artist associated with the movement of symbolism
5. (Theology) Christian theol a person who rejects any interpretation of the Eucharist that suggests that Christ is really present in it, and who maintains that the bread and wine are only symbols of his body and blood
of, relating to, or characterizing symbolism or symbolists
ˌsymbolˈistic, ˌsymbolˈistical adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sym•bol•ist(ˈsɪm bə lɪst)
a. a writer or artist who seeks to express or evoke emotions, ideas, etc., by the use of symbolic language, imagery, color, etc.
b. (usu. cap.) any of a group of chiefly French and Belgian poets and writers of the late 19th century who rejected naturalism and used evocative, suggestive, or synesthetic images.
2. a person who uses symbols or symbolism.
3. a person versed in the study or interpretation of symbols.adj.
4. of or pertaining to symbolists or symbolism.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||symbolist - a member of an artistic movement that expressed ideas indirectly via symbols|
|2.||symbolist - someone skilled in the interpretation or representation of symbols|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007