Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. Tagalog or Ta·ga·logs
1. A member of a people native to the Philippines and inhabiting Manila and its adjacent provinces.
2. The Austronesian language of the Tagalog on which Filipino is based.
[Perhaps Tagalog, river people : taga-, native of + ilog, river.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -logs or -log
1. (Peoples) a member of a people of the Philippines, living chiefly in the region around Manila
2. (Languages) the language of this people, belonging to the Malayo-Polynesian family: the official language of the Philippines
(Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Ta•ga•log(tɑˈgɑ lɔg, tə-)
n., pl. -logs, (esp. collectively) -log for 1.
1. a member of a people of the Philippines, living mainly in central and SW Luzon.
2. the Austronesian language of the Tagalogs.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tagalog - a member of a people native to the Philippines chiefly inhabiting central Luzon around and including Manila|
Philippine Islands, Philippines - an archipelago in the southwestern Pacific including some 7000 islands
Filipino - a native or inhabitant of the Philippines
|2.||Tagalog - the language of the Tagalog on which Filipino is based|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.