mannequin(redirected from Tailor's dummy)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. A life-size full or partial representation of the human body, used for the fitting or displaying of clothes; a dummy.
2. A jointed model of the human body used by artists, especially to demonstrate the arrangement of drapery. Also called lay figure.
3. One who models clothes; a model.
[French, from Old French, little man, figurine, from Middle Dutch mannekijn; see manikin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman who wears the clothes displayed at a fashion show; model
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a life-size dummy of the human body used to fit or display clothes
3. (Art Terms) arts another name for lay figure
[C18: via French from Dutch manneken manikin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or man•i•kin(ˈmæn ɪ kɪn)
1. a three-dimensional representation of the body used in displays, for making or fitting clothes, etc.; dummy.
2. a person employed to model clothing.
[1725–35; < French < Dutch; see manikin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A person who models clothes at fashion shows or for photographs.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||mannequin - a woman who wears clothes to display fashions; "she was too fat to be a mannequin"|
assistant, helper, help, supporter - a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose; "my invaluable assistant"; "they hired additional help to finish the work"
supermodel - a fashion model who has attained the status of a celebrity
|2.||mannequin - a life-size dummy used to display clothes|
dummy - a figure representing the human form
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. maniquí, figura representativa del cuerpo humano.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012