Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Tam·il(tăm′əl, tŭm′-, tä′məl)
n. pl. Tamil or Tam·ils
1. A member of a Dravidian people of southern India and northern Sri Lanka.
2. The Dravidian language of the Tamil.
Of or relating to the Tamil or their language or culture.
npl -ils or -il
1. (Peoples) a member of a mixed Dravidian and Caucasoid people of S India and Sri Lanka
2. (Languages) the language of this people: the state language of Tamil Nadu, also spoken in Sri Lanka and elsewhere, belonging to the Dravidian family of languages
(Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
Tam•il(ˈtæm əl, ˈtʌm-, ˈtɑ məl)
1. a member of a people of S Asia, living mainly in S India and in N and E Sri Lanka.
2. the Dravidian language of the Tamils.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tamil - a member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasian people of southern India and Sri Lanka|
Dravidian - a member of one of the aboriginal races of India (pushed south by Caucasians and now mixed with them)
|2.||Tamil - the Dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the Tamil in southern India and Sri Lanka|
South Dravidian - a Dravidian language spoken primarily in southern India
|Adj.||1.||Tamil - of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the language itself; "Tamil agglutinative phrases"|
1. adj → tamil inv
2. n (person) → tamil m/f; (language) → tamil m