Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Tam·il(tăm′əl, tŭm′-, tä′məl)
n. pl. Tamil or Tam·ils
1. A member of a Dravidian people of southern India and northern Sri Lanka.
2. The Dravidian language of the Tamil.
Of or relating to the Tamil or their language or culture.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
npl -ils or -il
1. (Peoples) a member of a mixed Dravidian and Caucasoid people of S India and Sri Lanka
2. (Languages) the language of this people: the state language of Tamil Nadu, also spoken in Sri Lanka and elsewhere, belonging to the Dravidian family of languages
(Languages) of or relating to this people or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Tam•il(ˈtæm əl, ˈtʌm-, ˈtɑ məl)
1. a member of a people of S Asia, living mainly in S India and in N and E Sri Lanka.
2. the Dravidian language of the Tamils.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Tamil - a member of the mixed Dravidian and Caucasian people of southern India and Sri Lanka|
Dravidian - a member of one of the aboriginal races of India (pushed south by Caucasians and now mixed with them)
|2.||Tamil - the Dravidian language spoken since prehistoric times by the Tamil in southern India and Sri Lanka|
South Dravidian - a Dravidian language spoken primarily in southern India
|Adj.||1.||Tamil - of or relating to a speaker of the Tamil language or the language itself; "Tamil agglutinative phrases"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
1. adj → tamil inv
2. n (person) → tamil m/f; (language) → tamil m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995