Tans(redirected from Tax Anticipation Notes)
Also found in: Financial.
v. tanned, tan·ning, tans
1. To convert (an animal hide) into leather by subjecting it to a chemical process that stabilizes the proteins, making it less susceptible to decay.
a. To make (a person or a person's skin) darker by exposure to the sun.
b. To make (a person or a person's skin) darker by exposure to artificial sunlight or by the application of certain chemicals, often in the form of sprays or lotions.
3. Informal To thrash; beat.
To become darker from exposure to the sun or artificial sunlight, or from the application of certain chemicals.
1. A light or moderate yellowish brown to brownish orange.
a. A suntan.
b. An artificially created suntan.
b. A solution derived from tannin.
adj. tan·ner, tan·nest
1. Light or moderate yellowish-brown to brownish-orange.
2. Having a suntan or the appearance of a suntan.
3. Used in or relating to tanning.
[Middle English tannen, from Old English *tannian, from Medieval Latin tannāre, from tannum, tanbark, probably of Celtic origin.]
n. pl. Tan or Tans
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Historical Terms) the Tans informal Irish short for the Black and Tans
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014