filigree(redirected from Telkari)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Delicate and intricate ornamental work made from gold, silver, or other fine twisted wire.
a. An intricate, delicate, or fanciful ornamentation.
b. A design resembling such ornamentation: filigrees of frosting on a cake.
tr.v. fil·i·greed, fil·i·gree·ing, fil·i·grees
To decorate with or as if with filigree.
1. (Art Terms) delicate ornamental work of twisted gold, silver, or other wire
2. (Art Terms) any fanciful delicate ornamentation
(Art Terms) made of or as if with filigree
vb, -grees, -greeing or -greed
(Art Terms) (tr) to decorate with or as if with filigree
[C17: from earlier filigreen, from French filigrane, from Latin fīlum thread + grānum grain]
n., adj., v. -greed, -gree•ing. n.
1. delicate ornamental work of fine silver, gold, or other metal wires, esp. lacy jewelers' work of scrolls and arabesques.
2. anything very delicate or fanciful: a filigree of frost.adj.
3. composed of or resembling filigree.v.t.
4. to adorn with or form into filigree.
[1685–95; < French filigrane < Italian filigrana < Latin fīli-, comb. form of fīlum thread + grāna, pl. of grānum grain]
Past participle: filigreed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||filigree - delicate and intricate ornamentation (usually in gold or silver or other fine twisted wire)|
embellishment - a superfluous ornament
|Verb||1.||filigree - make filigree, as with a precious metal|
craft - make by hand and with much skill; "The artisan crafted a complicated tool"
n → Filigran nt
adj → Filigran-; filigree jewellery → Filigranschmuck m