tenor(redirected from Tenor of Draft)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. The general course or character of something: "She would coast tonight, segue early into the Q&A, let the audience dictate the tenor of the event" (Anita Shreve). See Synonyms at tendency.
2. The word, phrase, or subject with which the vehicle of a metaphor is identified, as life in "Life's but a walking shadow" (Shakespeare).
3. The general meaning; the purport or drift: the tenor of her remarks; the tenor of your message.
a. The highest natural adult male voice.
b. One who sings this part.
c. An instrument that sounds within this range.
d. A vocal or instrumental part written within this range.
1. (Music, other) music
a. the male voice intermediate between alto and baritone, having a range approximately from the B a ninth below middle C to the G a fifth above it
b. a singer with such a voice
c. a saxophone, horn, recorder, etc, intermediate in compass and size between the alto and baritone or bass
d. (as modifier): a tenor sax.
2. general drift of thought; purpose: to follow the tenor of an argument.
3. (Music, other)
a. (in early polyphonic music) the part singing the melody or the cantus firmus
b. (in four-part harmony) the second lowest part lying directly above the bass
4. (Music, other) bell-ringing
a. the heaviest and lowest-pitched bell in a ring
b. (as modifier): a tenor bell.
5. a settled course of progress
6. archaic general tendency
7. (Banking & Finance) finance the time required for a bill of exchange or promissory note to become due for payment
8. (Law) law
a. the exact words of a deed, etc, as distinct from their effect
b. an exact copy or transcript
[C13 (originally: general meaning or sense): from Old French tenour, from Latin tenor a continuous holding to a course, from tenēre to hold; musical sense via Italian tenore, referring to the voice part that was continuous, that is, to which the melody was assigned]
1. the course of thought or meaning that runs through something written or spoken; purport; drift.
2. continuous course, progress, or movement: nothing to disturb the even tenor of our lives.
a. the adult male voice intermediate between the bass and the alto or countertenor.
b. a part sung by or written for such a voice.
c. a singer with such a voice.
d. an instrument corresponding in compass to this voice, esp. the viola.
e. the lowest-toned bell of a peal.
4. quality, character, or condition.adj.
5. of, pertaining to, or having the compass of a tenor.
[1250–1300; Middle English ten(o)ur < Anglo-French < Medieval Latin, Latin: course, continuity, tone =ten(ēre) to hold + -or -or1]
The highest natural adult male voice which may be either light and agile, or rich and sonorous.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tenor - the adult male singing voice above baritone|
singing voice - the musical quality of the voice while singing
|2.||tenor - the pitch range of the highest male voice|
pitch - the property of sound that varies with variation in the frequency of vibration
|3.||tenor - an adult male with a tenor voice|
|4.||tenor - a settled or prevailing or habitual course of a person's life; "nothing disturbed the even tenor of her ways"|
direction - a general course along which something has a tendency to develop; "I couldn't follow the direction of his thoughts"; "his ideals determined the direction of his career"; "they proposed a new direction for the firm"
|5.||tenor - the general meaning or substance of an utterance; "although I disagreed with him I could follow the tenor of his argument"|
|Adj.||1.||tenor - (of a musical instrument) intermediate between alto and baritone or bass; "a tenor sax"|
music - an artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner
|2.||tenor - of or close in range to the highest natural adult male voice; "tenor voice"|
1. The thread or current of thought uniting or occurring in all the elements of a text or discourse:
أعْلى أصوات الرِّجال في الغِناءمُغَنٍّ تينور
giọng nam cao
(a man with) a singing voice of the highest normal pitch for an adult male. tenoor أعْلى أصوات الرِّجال في الغِناء тенор tenor tenor der Tenor tenor τενόροςtenor tenor تنور tenori ténorטנור गति tenor tenor(ista) tenor tenórsöngvari tenore テノール 테너 tenoras tenors tenor tenortenortenor tenor tenor тенор tenor tenor tenor tenor เสียงสูงสุดของผู้ชาย tenor 男高音 тенор سُر ميں گانے والا giọng nam cao 男高音