tetrapod(redirected from Tetrapoda)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of numerous organisms of the group Tetrapoda, usually characterized as those species that have four limbs with digits and those, such as whales and snakes, that are descended from such species. Tetrapoda includes the amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.
2. A vertebrate animal with four feet, legs, or leglike appendages.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any vertebrate that has four limbs
2. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) Also called: caltrop a device consisting of four arms radiating from a central point, each at about 109° to the others, so that regardless of its position on a surface, three arms form a supporting tripod and the fourth is vertical
3. (General Engineering) engineering a very large cast concrete structure of a similar shape piled in large numbers round breakwaters and sea defence systems to dissipate the energy of the waves
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any vertebrate having four limbs or, as in the snake and whale, having had four-limbed ancestors.adj.
2. having four limbs or descended from four-limbed ancestors.
[1820–30; < New Latin tetrapodus < Greek tetrapod-, s. of tetrápous four-footed]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||tetrapod - a vertebrate animal having four feet or legs or leglike appendages|
craniate, vertebrate - animals having a bony or cartilaginous skeleton with a segmented spinal column and a large brain enclosed in a skull or cranium
quadruped - an animal especially a mammal having four limbs specialized for walking
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Tetrapode m (spec), → Vierfüßer m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007