awakening(redirected from The Awakening (episode))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
v. a·wak·ened, a·wak·en·ing, a·wak·ens
1. To wake up: I awakened at 6:00 am.
2. To become aware of something: He finally awakened to the fact that he was wrong.
1. To cause to wake up: A barking dog awakened me during the night.
2. To cause (someone) to become aware; alert or enlighten: The news awakened her to the truth.
3. To stir up or produce (a memory or feeling, for example): Her new job awakened in her a sense of responsibility. See Usage Note at wake1.
[Middle English awakenen, from Old English āwæcnian : ā-, on, up; see a-2 + wæcnian, to waken; see waken.]
the start of a feeling or awareness in a person: a picture of an emotional awakening.
a•wak•en•ing(əˈweɪ kə nɪŋ)
1. rousing; quickening: an awakening interest.n.
2. the act of awaking from sleep.
3. a revival of interest or attention.
4. a recognition, realization, or coming into awareness of something: a rude awakening to the facts.
5. a renewal of interest in religion, esp. in a community; revival.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||awakening - the act of waking; "it was an early awakening"; "it was the waking up he hated most"|
reveille - a signal to get up in the morning; in the military it is a bugle call at sunrise