Oxford(redirected from The city of dreaming spires)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to The city of dreaming spires: Mother City, Cockpit of Europe
1. A city of south-central England on the Thames River west-northwest of London. The internationally famous Oxford University, founded in the 1100s, still dominates the city center.
2. A city of northern Mississippi south-southeast of Memphis, Tennessee. It is the seat of the University of Mississippi ("Ole Miss"), established in 1844, and was William Faulkner's home town.
Oxford, 17th Earl of Title of Edward de Vere. 1550-1604.
English courtier and poet who is believed by some to have written Shakespeare's plays.
1. A sturdy, low shoe that laces over the instep.
2. A cotton cloth of a tight basket weave, used primarily for shirts.
1. (Placename) a city in S England, administrative centre of Oxfordshire, at the confluence of the Rivers Thames and Cherwell: Royalist headquarters during the Civil War; seat of Oxford University, consisting of 40 separate colleges, the oldest being University College (1249), and Oxford Brookes University (1993); motor-vehicle industry. Pop: 143 016 (2001).
2. (Breeds) Also called: Oxford Down a breed of sheep with middle-length wool and a dark brown face and legs
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a type of stout laced shoe with a low heel
4. (Textiles) a lightweight fabric of plain or twill weave used esp for men's shirts
(Biography) 1st Earl of. title of (Robert) Harley
1. a low shoe laced over the instep.
2. Also called ox′ford cloth`. a cotton or synthetic fabric constructed in plain or basket weave and having a lustrous finish and soft hand, used for shirts, blouses, and sportswear.
[1900–05; after Oxford, England]
1. a city in S Oxfordshire, in S England, NW of London: university, founded in 12th century. 132,000.
3. Also called Ox′ford Down′. one of an English breed of large sheep.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Oxford - a city in southern England to the northwest of London; site of Oxford University|
England - a division of the United Kingdom
Oxonian - a native or resident of Oxford
|2.||Oxford - a university town in northern Mississippi; home of William Faulkner|
|3.||Oxford - a university in England |
Oxford - a city in southern England to the northwest of London; site of Oxford University
|4.||oxford - a low shoe laced over the instep|
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material