Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An ancient city of Upper Egypt on the Nile River in present-day central Egypt. It flourished from the mid-22nd to the 18th century bc as a royal residence and a religious center for the worship of Amun. Its archaeological remains include many splendid temples and the tomb of Tutankhamun in the nearby Valley of the Kings.
2. An ancient city of Boeotia in east-central Greece northwest of Athens. Originally a Mycenaean city, it reached the height of its power in the fourth century bc but was largely destroyed by Alexander in 336.
The′ban (thē′bən) adj. & n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Placename) (in ancient Greece) the chief city of Boeotia, destroyed by Alexander the Great (336 bc)
2. (Placename) (in ancient Egypt) a city on the Nile: at various times capital of Upper Egypt or of the entire country
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an ancient city in S Egypt, on the Nile, on the site of the modern towns of Karnak and Luxor.
2. a city of ancient Greece, in Boeotia.
The′ban, adj., n.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Thebes - an ancient Egyptian city on the Nile River that flourished from the 22nd century BC to the 18th century BC; today the archeological remains include many splendid temples and tombs|
Arab Republic of Egypt, Egypt, United Arab Republic - a republic in northeastern Africa known as the United Arab Republic until 1971; site of an ancient civilization that flourished from 2600 to 30 BC
Theban - an Egyptian inhabitant of ancient Thebes
|2.||Thebes - an ancient Greek city in Boeotia destroyed by Alexander the Great in 336 BC|
Boeotia - a district of ancient Greece to the northwest of Athens
Theban - a Greek inhabitant of ancient Thebes
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Thebes[θiːbz] N → Tebas f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Thebes[θiːbz] nsg → Tebe f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995