phenothiazine(redirected from Thiergan)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A yellow organic compound, C12H9NS, used in insecticides, livestock anthelmintics, and dyes.
2. Any of a group of drugs derived from this compound and used in the treatment of psychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) a colourless to light yellow insoluble crystalline compound used as an anthelmintic for livestock and in insecticides. Formula: C12H9NS
2. (Pharmacology) any of several drugs derived from phenothiazine and used as strong tranquillizers and in the treatment of schizophrenia
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
phe•no•thi•a•zine(ˌfi nəˈθaɪ əˌzin, -zɪn)
1. a grayish green to greenish yellow, crystalline, water-insoluble solid, C12H9NS, used as an insecticide and vermifuge and in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals.
2. any of a class of medications used principally to treat psychotic symptoms, as hallucinations, and excessive excitability.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||phenothiazine - a compound used primarily in veterinary medicine to rid farm animals of internal parasites|
chlorpromazine, Thorazine - a drug (trade name Thorazine) derived from phenothiazine that has antipsychotic effects and is used as a sedative and tranquilizer
thiazine - a compound made up of a ring of four carbon atoms and one sulfur atom and one nitrogen atom
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.