Thompson(redirected from Thompson, Flora (Jane))
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Thomp·son(tŏmp′sən, tŏm′-), Benjamin Count Rumford. 1753-1814.
American-born British public official and physicist who conducted numerous experiments on heat and friction, concluding that heat is produced by moving particles.
Thompson, David 1770-1857.
Canadian explorer who followed the Columbia River to its mouth (1811) and mapped much of western Canada.
Thompson, Dorothy 1894-1961.
American journalist whose radio broadcasts and widely syndicated column "On the Record" (1936-1941) informed Americans of the impending threat of Nazi Germany.
Thompson, Jennifer Elisabeth Known as "Jenny." Born 1973.
American swimmer who won twelve Olympic medals, including eight gold medals in relay events at the 1992, 1996, and 2000 games.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biography) Benjamin, Count Rumford. 1753–1814, Anglo-American physicist, noted for his work on the nature of heat
2. (Biography) Daley. born 1958, British athlete: Olympic decathlon champion (1980, 1984)
3. (Biography) Emma. born 1959, British actress: her films include Howards End (1991), Sense and Sensibility (1996; also wrote screenplay), Primary Colors (1998), and Love Actually (2003)
4. (Biography) Flora (Jane). 1876–1947, British writer, author of the autobiographical Lark Rise to Candleford (1945)
5. (Biography) Francis. 1859–1907, British poet, best known for the mystical poem The Hound of Heaven (1893)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Thomp•son(ˈtɒmp sən, ˈtɒm-)
1. Benjamin, Count Rumford, 1753–1814, English physicist and diplomat, born in the U.S.
2. Dorothy, 1894–1961, U.S. journalist.
3. Francis, 1859–1907, English poet.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Thompson - United States classical archaeologist (born in Canada) noted for leading the excavation of the Athenian agora (1906-2000)|
|2.||Thompson - English physicist (born in America) who studied heat and friction; experiments convinced him that heat is caused by moving particles (1753-1814)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.