thorn apple(redirected from Thorn apples)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
thorn appleor thorn·ap·ple (thôrn′ăp′əl)
1. (Plants) a poisonous solanaceous plant, Datura stramonium, of the N hemisphere, having white funnel-shaped flowers and spiny capsule fruits. US and Canadian name: jimson weed See also stramonium
2. (Plants) any other plant of the genus Datura
3. (Plants) the fruit of certain types of hawthorn
1. the jimsonweed or a related plant bearing prickly fruit.
2. the bright red or yellow fruit of certain hawthorns.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thorn apple - any of several plants of the genus Datura|
common thorn apple, Datura stramonium, Jamestown weed, jimson weed, jimsonweed, apple of Peru - intensely poisonous tall coarse annual tropical weed having rank-smelling foliage, large white or violet trumpet-shaped flowers and prickly fruits
n → Stechapfel m