thorn apple(redirected from Thorn apples)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
thorn appleor thorn·ap·ple (thôrn′ăp′əl)
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a poisonous solanaceous plant, Datura stramonium, of the N hemisphere, having white funnel-shaped flowers and spiny capsule fruits. US and Canadian name: jimson weed See also stramonium
2. (Plants) any other plant of the genus Datura
3. (Plants) the fruit of certain types of hawthorn
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the jimsonweed or a related plant bearing prickly fruit.
2. the bright red or yellow fruit of certain hawthorns.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thorn apple - any of several plants of the genus Datura|
common thorn apple, Datura stramonium, Jamestown weed, jimson weed, jimsonweed, apple of Peru - intensely poisonous tall coarse annual tropical weed having rank-smelling foliage, large white or violet trumpet-shaped flowers and prickly fruits
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Stechapfel m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007