thresher(redirected from Thresher sharks)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Thresher sharks: Alopiidae
1. One who threshes.
2. A threshing machine.
3. A thresher shark.
1. (Agriculture) a person who threshes
2. (Agriculture) short for threshing machine
3. (Animals) Also called: thrasher or thresher shark any of various large sharks of the genus Alopias, esp A. vulpinus, occurring in tropical and temperate seas: family Alopiidae. They have a very long whiplike tail with which they are thought to round up the small fish on which they feed
1. a person or thing that threshes.
2. a large shark of the genus Alopias, esp. A. vulpinus, which herds small fish by flailing its tail.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||thresher - a farm machine for separating seeds or grain from the husks and straw|
farm machine - a machine used in farming
|2.||thresher - large pelagic shark of warm seas with a whiplike tail used to round up small fish on which to feed|
shark - any of numerous elongate mostly marine carnivorous fishes with heterocercal caudal fins and tough skin covered with small toothlike scales