Thule(redirected from Thulé)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to Thulé: Qaanaaq
The most northerly region of the habitable world to ancient Greek geographers. Posited as an island north of Britain, it has been variously identified with Iceland, Norway, and the Shetland Islands.
Thu·le 2(to͞o′lē) or Qaa·naaq (kä-näk′)
A town of northwest Greenland northwest of Cape York. A US air base was built here after World War II.
A Native American culture that spread eastward across coastal Arctic regions to eastern Canada and Greenland from its beginnings in the Bering Strait region, flourishing from about 1000 to 1600.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Historical Terms) Also called: ultima Thule a region believed by ancient geographers to be the northernmost land in the inhabited world: sometimes thought to have been Iceland, Norway, or one of the Shetland Islands
2. (Placename) an Inuit settlement in NW Greenland: a Danish trading post, founded in 1910, and US air force base
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Thu•le(ˈθu li for 1,2; ˈtu- for 3,4 )
1. Also called ultima Thule. an island or region believed by the ancient Greeks and Romans to be the northernmost part of the inhabited world: variously identified as Iceland, Norway, or one of the Shetland Islands.
2. a settlement in NW Greenland: site of U.S. air base. 749.adj.
3. of or designating an Eskimo culture flourishing from A.D. 500 to 1400, and extending throughout the Arctic from Greenland to Alaska.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Thule - a town in northwestern Greenland; during World War II a United States naval base was built there|
|2.||Thule - the geographical region believed by ancient geographers to be the northernmost land in the inhabited world|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.