tie-dye(redirected from Tie die)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. tie-dyed, tie-dye·ing, tie-dyes
To dye (fabric) after tying parts of the fabric so that they will not absorb dye, giving the fabric a streaked or mottled look.
1. The process of tie-dyeing.
2. A tie-dyed fabric or garment.
(Textiles) to dye (textiles) to produce patterns by tying sections of the cloth together so that they will not absorb the dye
(Textiles) a garment or piece of cloth that has been tie-dyed
v. -dyed, -dye•ing,
1. to dye (fabric) by the tie-die method.n.
2. a process of hand-dyeing fabric, in which sections of the fabric are tightly bound, as with thread, to resist the dye solution, thereby producing a variegated pattern.
3. a fabric or garment dyed by this process.
Past participle: tie-dyed