tipstaff(redirected from Tipstave)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to Tipstave: The Tipstaff
n. pl. tip·staves (-stāvz′, -stăvz′) or tip·staffs
1. A staff with a metal tip, carried as a sign of office.
2. An officer, such as a bailiff or constable, who carries a tipstaff.
[Alteration of tipped staff.]
1. (Law) a court official having miscellaneous duties, mostly concerned with the maintenance of order in court
2. a metal-tipped staff formerly used as a symbol of office
[C16 tipped staff; see tip1, staff1]
n., pl. -staves (-ˌsteɪvz)
1. an attendant or crier in a court of law.
2. a staff tipped with metal, formerly carried as a badge of office, as by a constable.
3. any official who carried such a staff.
[1535–45; shortened form of earlier tipped staff]
n (Brit Jur) → ˜ Ordnungsbeamte(r) m → /-beamtin f