toehold(redirected from Toehold purchase)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. A small indentation or ledge on which the toe of a shoe can find support in climbing.
2. A slight or initial yet significant advantage useful for future progress: Family connections gave her a toehold in politics.
3. Sports A wrestling hold in which one competitor wrenches the other's foot.
1. (Mountaineering) a small foothold to facilitate climbing
2. any means of gaining access, support, etc: the socialist party gained a toehold in the local elections.
3. (Wrestling) a wrestling hold in which the opponent's toe is held and his leg twisted against the joints
1. a small ledge or niche just large enough to support the toes, as in climbing.
2. any slight advantage, support, or the like, that aids progress.
3. an illegal wrestling hold in which the foot or toes are twisted.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||toehold - a relatively insignificant position from which future progress might be made; "American diplomacy provided a toehold on which to proceed toward peace talks"; "his father gave him a toehold in the oil business"|
|2.||toehold - a small foothold used in climbing|
|3.||toehold - a wrestling hold in which the toe is held and the leg is twisted against the joints|
wrestling hold - a hold used in the sport of wrestling